A gaming router is not just a marketing ploy. It genuinely comes with many useful features such as the prioritization of gaming traffic, extra “Gigabit Ethernet” ports, powerful router hardware, and the latest wireless standards.
A powerful gaming router likewise features more powerful and faster CPUs and RAM. Increased memory and power in a gaming router means that it is able to manage more connections and decrease latency. In this article, we will tell you about 8 best gaming routers for Ps4. Keep reading this post carefully in order to get the most out of it!
How to Choose the Best Gaming Router for Ps4
Before you opt to buy a gaming router for ps4, it is important to take into consideration a few aspects. Some of the things you need to look for in the best gaming router for Ps4 are:
Ethernet or Wireless AC Router
First, you need to choose the type of router – i.e. Ethernet or Wireless AC Router. Sometimes, Ethernet is not an appropriate option for gamers and which is why they need wireless AC routers. A wireless AC router comes with a 5GHz, which is much faster than other types of routers that usually come with 2.4 GHz band. On the other hand, a wireless AC router may have a shorter range. So, if this type of router does not satisfy your needs, you can go for an Ethernet router.
Multiple Input and Output
Another important factor that you need to consider is the multiple input/output, which serves different devices on a network. I like this aspect and whenever I buy a new router or if my friends ask me what to look for in a new router, I recommend them to consider the multiple-user and multiple input/output features. It is because this feature will help you stream and/or download data while still playing the game. When a router lacks this feature, it will only serve a particular device, which can decrease the speed of the wired router for gaming.
Quality of Service
Quality of Service – simply known as QoS – prioritizes a wide range of data packets for different connected devices. A lot of users prefer this aspect since is handy when there are several users who share the same network. Thus, this allows for gaming data optimization on Netflix, Skype, and others.
Here are the 8 best gaming routers for PS4.
1. NETGEAR N600 DUAL BAND WI-FI
- Faster WiFi Speed: N600 Dual Band WiFi delivers 300 + 300Mbps
- Ideal WiFi range for medium to large homes. System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10,Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, Chrome
- Simultaneous Dual Band: Reduces interferences for better connections to more WiFi devices
- NETGEAR genie home network manager for easy installation and home network management
NETGEAR N600 comes with 5 Ethernet ports, 2.4 GHZ Dual Band, and 300 Mb/sec data transfer rate. I have personally used this gaming router for my PlayStation 4 console and I must tell you that this device is easy-to-install and comes with the automatic quality of service (QoS). One thing I like about this gaming router is its wide Wi-Fi range – making it an ideal choice for me as a gamer – because I have a large home.
2. ASUS RT-ACRH13 DUAL-BAND
- Dual band AC1300 with the latest 2x2 MU MIMO technology for combined speeds of up to 1267 Mbps
- 4 external 5dBi antennas for improved Wi Fi range and multi device performance; Connected devices must be 802.11ac compatible for best results
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App
- Effortless router setup with the ASUSWRT web based interface, Super Fast Wi Fi: Dual band 802.11ac Wi Fi with concurrent speeds up to 867Mbps (5GHz) and 400Mbps (2.4GHz)
ASUS RT-ACRH13 gaming router for PS4 comes with the latest 2×2 multi-user and multiple-input/output features. Personally, I like the ASUS router app and I am sure you won’t resist it too. The app gives the user ease in terms of monitoring and managing the network from the smartphone. When it comes to speed, you will absolutely love the 5GHz – thus, making it a unique router for Ps4. In addition, if you want to share an external drive or flash with your network, you can’t deny the integrated USB 3.0 port.
3. NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK PRO XR500
- Minimize ping and maximize performance with four 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag free, wired connectivity and 1.7 GHz dual core processor network efficiency
- Amp up your WiFi with AC2600 dual band router that delivers blazing fast speeds up to 2.6 Gbps
- Put your gaming traffic in a designated express lane with advanced Quality of Service, bypassing network congestion and reducing lag spikes, jumps and jitters
- Make every millisecond count by using geo filtering to connect to the closest servers and players so you can respond and dominate
NETGEAR Nighthawk comes with a personalized dashboard, which makes it easy for users to stream online. More interestingly, you will like the “Geo-Filter” feature, which is very helpful in fixing the lag of the game by limiting the distance. Therefore, it allows you to whitelist or blacklist any servers – enabling you to control and manage the local connection.
4. MEDIALINK AC1200 (Part# MLWR-AC1200R)
- 10X’S THE SPEED: Most routers in this price range have only “Fast Ethernet” ports that max out at 100Mbps. Our router has Gigabit ports to give you 1,000Mbps for lag-free 4K video streaming &...
- RANGE: Beamforming and 2 high powered antennas work together to cover larger homes by focusing the wireless signal directly to your device
- SAFE: Robust firewall and wireless security keeps out unwanted visitors while Guest Network access gives a separate safe and secure connection to guests
- FULL CONTROL: Are the router lights too bright? Turn them off! Are your kids staying online too late at night? Restrict access to only the times you want
The incredible speed of MEDIALINK gaming router for Ps4 is parallel to none. The device has a Broadcom ARM A7 processor. There are 4 Ethernet ports and the wireless compatibility is 802.11.ac. It is easy to install and quick to setup. The vast Wi-Fi range is the plus point of this router, as well as the 10X faster ports, make it a unique router for Ps4. The only thing I don’t like about this router is the placing of USB 3.0.
5. D-LINK AC3200 (DIR-890L/R)
- Ultimate WiFi performance with AC3200 Tri Band speeds (1 x 600 Mbps in 2.4GHz + 2 x 1300 Mbps in 5GHz) to support more connected WiFi devices to your high speed home network
- Enjoy 4K/HD video and online gaming simultaneously with 3 x 3 data streams and 6 high performance antennas
- The 1GHz Dual Core processor gives you powerful wired and wireless speeds
- Advanced Smart Connect allocates the best possible band for maximal WiFi performance; WiFi Coverage Large Home,Compatibility: Works with existing and future WiFi devices
D-Link AC3200 Wi-Fi Router is a three-in-one wireless router, which comes with 2.4 GHz band that offers speeds up to 600 Mbps. The device has two individual 5 GHz wireless bands, which deliver different speeds up to 1300 Mbps. The good thing about the feature is that both wireless bands operate simultaneously and this is what I like the most about this router because it provides with lag-free gaming experience online. In contrast, I think that the interface of this device is not easy and there are limited parental control features, which make it a little unsafe for children.
6. LINKSYS WRT AC3200
- Fast wireless router provides WiFi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
- Open source firmware offers advanced customization; Certified Operating Systems: MacOS (10.X or higher), Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (Works with Windows 10)
- Tri Stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
If you are looking for speed, then I believe this router will fulfill your needs and give you optimized Ps4 gaming experience. LINKSYS Router has “160” technology along with a fast dual-band and a bandwidth. The device also has a smart Wi-Fi application, which allows you to monitor and manage your router from your smartphone. You can use this router with different operating systems and their versions such as Windows 7, 8, and 10 or Mac OS 10 or higher versions.
7. TP-LINK AC1900 (Archer A9)
- Wave 2 WiFi Router, 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band
- MU MIMO Router, Three simultaneous data streams help Your devices achieve optimal Performance by making communication more efficient
- Boosted WiFi Coverage, Beamforming technology delivers a highly efficient wireless connection
- Beyond security, Archer A9 goes beyond traditional network security to provide features such as parental Control, access Control and a VPN Server
TP-LINK AC1900 offers higher speeds of up to 1.9 Gbps. It is among the most affordable routers for PS4 available on the market. This router does not only feature higher speeds, but it also has a wide range of other significant features like USB ports 2.0 and 3.0, simultaneous connections of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and beamforming technology, which offers easy and direct connections. The router likewise has a dual-core processor that further enhance the power and efficiency of the device.
8. NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK X6 AC3200
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and...
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C7800 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 2 Gigabits speed
- FAST Wi Fi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 3000 sq ft wireless coverage and 45 devices connected with AC3200 speed (up to 3200 Mbps)
NETGEAR X6 offers speeds up to 3200 Mbps. It has a 1.0 GHz dual-core processor and the device comes with Tri-band frequency – i.e. 600 + 1300 + 1300 – offering a wide range. NETGEAR X6 also has two USB ports, 2.0 and 3.0. There are six external antennas and four Ethernet ports. On the other hand, the only thing I don’t like about this router is that it is a little pricy.
Gaming routers offer a wide range of advantages than normal or conventional routers. First and foremost, a gaming router for Ps4 has additional ports and can control high traffic because it has a higher performance processor – in general.
Not only do gaming routers offer better security and control via smartphone apps, but they also have easy configuration interfaces – allowing you to customize the personalize the device according to your needs.
The band is another important aspect when it comes to gaming routers. In most situations, gaming routers for ps4 come either as 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. However, it is important that you choose the one that comes with a 5 GHz band because it is more reliable and much faster than its counterpart that comes with 2.4 GHz.
In this article, I have reviewed the top 8 router products based on my personal experience. Since I have used all of them, I believe the best gaming router for Ps4 or in other words, the clear winner is Netgear N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi because of its incredible features, which are already mentioned in the article.
On the other hand, if you are looking for an affordable yet the best gaming router for Ps4, I recommend you go for TP-Link AC1900 – which features high speeds, multiple ports, easy-to-install, and setup, etc. Good Luck!