No matter what type of headphones you use, over-ear headphones or in-ear headphones. Do you know that how many bacteria are in your headphones? Now, take your headphones out and check them, you can see a lot of noticeable stains on them. There are still a lot of bacteria in places that you can’t see with the naked eye. For health reasons, it’s quite necessary to clean your headphones regularly. The following will show you how to clean headphones.
What you need to prepare before cleaning your headphones
- Small towels
- Soapy water
- Rubbing alcohol/liquid antiseptic
- Cotton swab
- Blu tack
- A wooden toothpick
How to clean earbuds
Earbuds are small, so you need to be gentle and careful when cleaning your earbuds. Generally speaking, the ear tips on the earbuds are removable. For better cleaning, you should remove the ear tips from the earbuds.
- First, remove the silicone ear tips, make sure that your movements are gentle. Don’t pull them too hard or you will tear the silicon. Then, soak the small towel with soapy water, and scrub the ear tips. Furthermore, you can also use a damp cotton tip to clean the inside of the ear tips. This step can remove the dirt from the crevices, and it can also disinfect the ear tips. When you’re done, you can turn your attention to the actual earbuds.
- Use a wooden toothpick to wipe off any earwax or other dirt on the speaker mesh. Be careful not to damage the mesh; wipe the drivers with a soft damp cloth. The main purpose of these steps is to remove all adhered ear wax or dirt.
- Get the Blu-Tack ready, and then press it into the speaker mesh. Pull it out quickly to remove any wax or dust, then repeat this step until the speaker mesh is clean. A clean speaker mesh can also improve sound quality!
- Dampen a towel or a clean cloth with rubbing alcohol to clean the entire part of the driver. Pay attention to cleaning all sensors.
- Finally, let the alcohol completely evaporate before using the earbuds or storing them.
How to clean headphones
The steps of cleaning headphones and earbuds are similar.
- If it’s possible, remove the ear pads from the headphones. Wipe the earpads with a small towel soaked with soapy water, and wipe them with a dry towel.
- Use a towel damped with soapy water to wipe other parts of the headphones, such as the headband, the buttons, the microphone, and so on.
- Clean the speaker mesh with Blu-tack. The step is the same as the step for cleaning the speaker mesh of the earbuds mentioned above.
The cleaning methods for the two types of headphones are described above. In order to meet the needs of most users, Bose headphones and AirPods are taken as the representatives of these two types of headphones. Their cleaning methods are described in detail below.
How to clean Bose headphones
- Ear tips: remove the ear tips from the earbuds and wash them with soap. Please make sure it is mild soap, which will not damage the ear tips. Besides, you need to rinse and dry them with a dry cloth.
- Silicone covers: remove the silicon covers from the headphones. Then soak them in warm and soapy water for a while, rinse and dry them with a dry cloth.
- Earbuds: separate the ear tips from the earbuds and wipe the mesh screens with a dry towel. You should make sure that do not push ear wax into the mesh surface or porthole. You can use a wooden toothpick to lightly wipe off any earwax or other dirt on the speaker mesh.
How to clean AirPods
- AirPods cleaning: AirPods use a semi-in-ear design, which makes it easier to accumulate dirt. There are two ways to clean this dirt. The first one is using a wooden toothpick or a small wire to pull out the dirt from the gap in the speaker. Be careful when doing this, or you may damage your AirPods. The second method is using Blu tack, press it into the speaker mesh, and repeat this step a few times. so that the Blu tack can stick out the dirt or wax.
- Charging box cleaning: you can clean the charging box with a lint-free cloth or glasses cloth. When cleaning, it is better to dampen the cloth with a little water. If there are stubborn stains, you might as well add a bit of toothpaste. So that it can clean and remove the small scratches on the box.
How often should you clean your headphones?
There are no hard and fast rules about how often you should clean your headphones. Determine the frequency of cleaning according to your frequency of use. For example, if you wear headphones when you exercise and sweat a lot, you should wear them every day. You can actually watch your headphones. When you find some earwax, dust, grease, or sweat on your earphones, please clean them immediately. If you don’t clean them up in time, it will be more troublesome to clean them up later.
Different earphones have different cleaning methods. We also list the cleaning methods of two earphone brands. You can find the corresponding cleaning method according to your earphone type. It is necessary to clean the earphones at regular intervals. In this way, you can use clean headphones and protects them from bacteria. It also provides you with better sound quality.