Although it may seem a quite hard, cutting metal is an easy-to-learn task. You need to know the basics, read carefully your manual instructions, and wear eye and ear protection for safety concerns. You can resort to a wide variety of tools and methods to cut your metal sheets. This guide is for inexperienced DIY enthusiasts, showing them the basics of how to cut metal.
How to Cut Metal
How to Cut Metal Using a Chop Saw
To make perfect and quick cuts using a chop saw, you need to buy slim, abrasive blades. Also, chop saws necessitate 15 amps minimum at 120 Volts. Also, you need to be sure that the saw is in a good condition and is able to perform the task you want. Naturally, a 14-inch saw will cut 5-inch materials.
- When cutting a flat surface, attach it vertically on the clamp.
- When it comes to angle steel, it should be set on the two edges.
- Place the saw on a stable object; otherwise, you’ll end up putting it on ground.
- Mark where you’re going to cut using a permanent pencil, you can put a tape measure below the material and closer to the disc to refer to if the marks are not clear.
- Lower down the phase of the disc that is going to cut, then start off.
Recommended Chop Saw for the Job:
- Stainless-steel miter detent plate of 12-inch miter saw blade comes with 14 positive stops
- The mitre saw features the precise miter system and machined base fence support
- Tall sliding fence of DEWALT miter saw supports 5-1/2-inch base vertically
Using a Jigsaw
- Check that you have the proper blade.
- Fix your metal sheet on a plywood, and place them on your working table.
- Mark your cutting path.
- Place the front of the shoe on the edges of the material.
- Start at a low pace. If the saw runs at high speed, just cut slowly.
- After finishing, clean the edges of your sheet using an oxide aluminum sandpaper.
Recommended Jigsaw for the Job:
- HIGH PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC JIG SAW - 5 amp electric jig saw with a 3⁄4” blade orbital action for increased precision
- CURVE CONTROL TECHNOLOGY - Four curve settings for maximum control over rounded cuts
- BEVELED CUTS - Makes beveled cuts up to 45 degrees