The most popular way to set up Wi-Fi in your home is purchasing a wireless router. The main function of this set-up is to make your cable modem’s internet signal available to other devices in your home, such as cell phones and tablets. Because you will have several personal items connected to this modem, it is imperative that you find one that has speeds that are sufficient for your needs, is secure enough to maintain your privacy, and is cost-effective.
While there are wireless routers that cost over $150, it is very feasible to find the best wireless router for your home that meets all of your individual demands, while costing much less. To help narrow down the choices for you, we have come up with a list of the best WiFi routers under $100 for 2023.
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best wifi router under 100 dollars is then I’d recommend the TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router as the best one.
Here are the routers we’ll be reviewing:
How To Choose The Right Router For You
To ensure you are getting the best wireless router, here are some things to consider prior to your purchase.
Router Limits Compared to Your Internet’s Top Speed
Just because a router is high speed does not guarantee that the streaming performance will improve. Regardless of what network is being used, the speed of data processing is a result of the network connection you have. Be sure to review any and all limitations that may come with the wireless router you are considering.
You will also need to account for the speed of your specific internet connection. Many services have maximum speeds that they will allow with their packages, so you will need to take note of this information and apply it to the wireless routers you are looking to purchase. Even a high end router will render useless if it cannot accommodate your top internet speed.
Number of Devices and Space You Are Hoping Your Router Will Support
As with many purchases, knowing what you expect the end function to be will enable you to find the perfect wireless router for your individual needs. This includes the total number of devices that you intend to link up to your router. Things that may need a wired connection should also be included, as they will have an effect on the overall functionality of the device.
In addition, figure out how much space you will need the wireless connection to cover. The specifics that are needs to provide above average coverage for a small bedroom as compared to a full 3 story home will vary significantly. Thus, these details are necessary in order to ensure you are purchasing a device that will provide sufficient coverage for you and your family.
Just about everything is made with USB port compatibility these days, and a wireless router is no exception. There may devices that you may want to connect directly to your router. If the need arises, you will want to have USB ports on your router to connect things such as an external hard drive or flash drive.
Quality of Service
Sometimes known as traffic control, it is possible to adjust the performance of your router based on what you are using it for at any given time. As an example, you can change certain settings that will work better for streaming videos and then re-adjust for playing games. This versatility can avoid inconvenient buffering pauses in the middle of a television show, movie or game.
In follow up to the above, you may also want to take some time to research the brand or manufacturer of the device you are looking to by, as well as its customer service. After all, a router is still a machine and may have break down from time to time. You will want to make sure you are purchasing your device from a trusted manufacturer and that their customer service team will support any guarantee and/or warranties that may accompany your purchase. Taking this extra step ahead of time may save you some stress in a future situation.
Management of Applications
A common inclusion in most newer routers, there are certain applications that enable user-friendliness in adjusting your Wi-Fi network. These apps allow you to monitor the devices that are connect to your network and adjust if any particular devices need to be prioritized over others. Additionally, you can receive an alert when updates are available for your router.
Are There Any Compatible Accessories That May Come In Handy Later On
Some items will be included with your purchase, such as an ethernet cable. Although these may not fill an immediate need, there may a time in the future where these items may come in handy. Best rule of thumb is to keep any cables and other equipment that comes with your router because you never know when it can come in handy in the future.
Additionally, it may be a good idea to do some research into that accessory items may be compatible with your device. There may be time when you would like to upgrade your housing, for example. In this case, purchasing an extender or two may provide the additional bandwidth you need for this added space you have acquired. Knowing whether or not there are devices of this kind that are compatible with your current router can save you energy and time in the future.
Top Product Reviews
1.) TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
- OneMesh Compatible Router- Form a seamless WiFi when work with TP-Link OneMesh WiFi Extenders
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering...
- Purchase includes a 2 year limited warranty from the manufacturer
- Simple installation and utilization with superb overall performance
- External antennas are very sturdy and durable to withstand long term wear and tear
- The settings on this wireless router are limited, which may not appease all buyers
- Some consumers were unhappy with the consistency of the internet connection with this device
The TP-Link AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi router uses a total of 6 antenna; 3 internal and 3 external. This number of antenna maximizes coverage up to 2,500 square feet. It includes a tether app that enables you to set up the device with ease while also providing you with a way to manage your connections. It is a dual-band router with speeds reaching up to 1,300 Mbps. Other features include 4 ethernet ports, 1 WAN port, 2 USB ports and advanced wireless AC technology; all of which will allow you to connect printers and other devices directly to your router.
Finally, this router is fully compatible with Linux/Unix, Mac OS, Windows 8/8.1/10, XP/Vista, and NetWare; all of which add to the safety and functionality of your household devices.
2.) NetGear R6700 Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router
- Maximum Range : 1500 Sq Ft
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1...
- Great router for 4K streaming and anyone who is an avid gamer
- Consumers are extremely pleased with the speed of this router, particularly when several devices are connected at one time
- The range that is provided by the Beamforming technology is outstanding
- Some buyers found that the throughput speeds on the 2GHz band could have been better
- Others complained that the configuration of the bridge mode was not sufficient enough for their needs
The Netgear R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 has the ability to connect up to 12 Wi-Fi devices at one time. It consists of a dual-core processor that is 1GHz, enhancing both wired and wireless device performances. Ideal for gaming with advanced QoS, this dual-band router has speeds up to 1m300 Mbps while enabling controls for parents that provide a safer and more appropriate web experience. This router boasts of a USB port at 3.0 which shares files faster and includes backup software free of charge. It consists of beamforming technology; which enhances the speed and overall range of the Wi-Fi and all devices that are connected.
Finally, this router has the ability to support VPN, allowing a secure connection for remote access devices boosts allowing anyone to be able to do their work from home without safely and securely.
3.) TP-Link AC1200 Smart WiFi Router
- Dual band router upgrades to 1200 Mbps high speed internet (300mbps for 2.4GHz ; 900Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering...
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, ideal for any internet plan and allow you to directly connect your wired...
- MU-MIMO technology (5GHz band) allows high speeds for multiple devices simultaneously
- Overall speed reduces buffering and enables 4K streaming without interruption
- Purchase includes a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer
- Consumers have noticed a significant range and signal improvement using this device
- Some consumers have complained about the ports dropping the internet when in use
- Others have commented that this device does not work with all networks/cable providers
Next on our list is the TP-Link AC1200 smart Wi-Fi router. This dual band router gets 300Mbps for 2.4GHZ and 900Mbps for 5GHz; for a combined speed of 1,200 Mbps. It includes 4 gigabit LAN ports enabling wired devices to connect directly, if so desired. The device can easily switched to AP mode which will open an access point for your internet to be shared wirelessly with friends and family.
This router also includes an application for easy set up and management of the entire home network right from your phone.
4.) Google WiFi system NLS-1304-25
- A new type of connected system that replaces your router for seamless wifi coverage throughout your home, helping...
- Network assist technology keeps your connection fast by always selecting the clearest channel and fastest band for your...
- A simple app gets you set up quickly and allows you to see what's connected, prioritize devices, and pause the WiFi on...
- Includes 1 year warranty with purchase
- Consumers are loving the ease at which they an connect to this device
- App allows you to add Wi-Fi points easily and without fuss
- Some people have had problems connecting their phones with this device through various phone service providers
- App included is only way to troubleshoot device, which was problematic for some users
This Google Wi-Fi system MLS-1304-25 features Network Assist technology. This enables a fast connection with the selection of the clearest channel and quickest band. It produces up to 1,200 Mpbs speeds and provides coverage of up to 1,500 square feet from a single point.
In addition, with purchase you also can download an application in order to monitor your entire network to ensure appropriate use of your at home wireless internet. Read Review »
5.) TP-Link N450 Wi-Fi Router
- Wireless N speed up to 450Mbps, ideal for bandwidth-intensive tasks like HD video streaming, VoIP, and online gaming....
- 802.11n technology, 15x faster with 5x the range of 802. 11g, Three antennas for increased coverage and stability,...
- IP based bandwidth control allows you to determine how much bandwidth is allotted to each device, WPS button for...
- Purchase includes a two-year limited warranty from the manufacturer
- This router enables a close-range wireless performance that has exceeded expectations
- Consumers have found this device extremely simple to use and install
- There are no USB ports included with this router
- Consumers were also disappointed that there were no gigabit Ethernet capabilities with this device
At number five on our list is the TP-Link N450 Wi-Fi router. The bandwidth for this router is IP-based and allows each consumer to determine the amount of speed that is allocated to each device connected to the router. Offering speeds up to 450Mbps, this router supports various internet providers including Safari 4.0, Firefox 12.0, and Chrome 20.0. You can keep your connections secure with one-touch wireless security encryption using WPS button.
This router is perfect for smaller households that are on a budget and do not have a ton of devices that will be using the wireless internet at once.
6.) Linksys WRT54GL Wi-Fi Router
- Linux based Internet sharing Router with built in 4 port Switch and Wireless G Access Point
- Shares a single Internet connection (10/100 WAN) with 4 Ethernet wired (10/100 switched LAN ; Compliant with the IEEE...
- Max. Link Rate:54 Mbps; Has 2 External Antennas ; supports WPA2 standards for use of the available encryption regardless...
- Included instructions allow for simple set up, utilization and operation
- Designed with durability and quality in mind
- Superb range for the wireless connection allows for you to stay connected no throughout your entire home or space
- The only connection that is supported by this device is Wireless-G
- Some consumers have complained that this unit will drop the connection quite frequently
The Linksys WRT54GL Wi-Fi wireless-G broadband router includes 4 x 10/100 switched LAN ports as well as a built-in wireless-G point. The connection rate offered can go up to 54 Mbps and it supports network standards from 802.11b and 802.11g. This router includes advanced security with WPA/WPA2 encryption in addition to an SPI firewall that will keep your connection secure at all times.
Constructed with 2 external antennas, this device is compatible with Windows XP/Vista 32/64 and offers an option for parental controls over internet access.
7.) Netgear R6120 WI-FI Router
- Maximum Range : 1200 Sq Ft
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1200 sq ft wireless coverage with AC1200 speed (Dual band up to 300 + 900 Mbps).
- RECOMMENDED FOR UP TO 20 DEVICES: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- Consumers love the upload and download speeds that come with using this router
- This device is able to support a myriad of connections from various sources without dropping the internet or lagging at all
- People found the set up with this router was extremely easy, even for the layman
- The 10/100 LAN ports tend to be quite slow for anyone that needs 100mbps service or higher
- Some consumers complained that the NetGear website was not use friendly and support for this device was lacking
At number seven on our list is the Netgear Wi-Fi router R6120. This is a dual-band router that enables wireless speed up to 1,200 Mbps. It provides the ability to use parental controls and to monitor devices using the included Nighthawk app. Designed to support security WPA2 wireless protocols; including VPN, Firewall and more; this router also includes a 4 x 10/100 Fast Ethernet as well as 2 USB ports.
With a wide array of ways to connect to this device, while also providing various methods of protection and monitoring of the wireless internet usage, we believe that this router would be best for family settings.
8.) TP-Link AC750 Wifi Range Extender
- Ideal for extending Wi-Fi to Echo/Alexa devices, WeMo & TP-Link smart plugs, TP-Link smart bulbs, The iPhone 7, Samsung...
- Works with any standard router or gateway, High speed mode allows for the most ideal HD streaming & gaming experience....
- Smart Signal Indicator can help to find the best location for optimal Wi-Fi coverage, Compatible with 802.11 b/g/n and...
- Purchase includes 2 year warranty from the manufacturer
- The instructions are very user friendly and enable a quick and simple set up
- Compact design allows for a small footprint inside your home
- Others have noticed that the signal from this router extender gets stuck frequently
Finally on our list at number eight is the TP-Link AC750 WI-Fi range extender. This device is an extender that takes your wireless signal and repeats the wireless signal to extend the coverage further and providing the wireless signal to additional areas of your home.
This extender will work with any standard router or gateway. It is a dual-band with speeds up to 750Mbps. It is designed with Smart Signal Indicator that enables the device to find the best location so that it can provide optimal wireless coverage. Also included is an ethernet port which allows you to connect wired devices directly to this extender.
Recap: 8 Top Wireless Routers Under $100 Picks
At the end of the day, the best WiFi routers are the ones that will work best in your home for your specific needs. Thus, it is best to review and compare each feature carefully in order to make the best purchase for your needs. For our money, we believe that the TP-Link AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi router is the best bang for your buck and will cover most people’s needs. It is compatible with several devices, provides a large span of coverage, and enables up to 50 devices to be connected at the same time without connection interruption. The mix of features combined with stellar performance will enhance the wireless internet service of just about any home.