Having problems getting a uniform network coverage through all the parts of your room? Uneven signal reception from dead spots is one of the primary reasons. If you keep tabs about the technological gadgets available in modern times- you would know that they are the perfect solution for problems such as these- wireless router extenders.
Wi-Fi Extenders provide an easy solution to remove dead zones while increasing your Wi-Fi area coverage to a further distance. This article will help you decide the best extender according to your requirements, needs, and budget constraints. Learn in detail about the specifications and reviews some of the best routers in the market- as selected by our experts.
Here are our top 3 picks
The Best Wireless Extenders
You might get confused between related terms like Wi-Fi router extenders, wireless repeaters, or signal boosters. They are more or less the same- and many refer to these different names as useless technical jargon. Long story short- here are the top-rated extenders.
#1 – Netgear Nighthawk X6S EX8000 Tri-band Wi-Fi Extender
- Extended wireless coverage: Adds Wi-Fi range coverage up to 2500 square feet, and connects up to 50 devices such as...
- Seamless smart roaming: Uses your existing network SSID name so you never get disconnected as you move around your home...
- Ac3000 Wi-Fi speed: Provides up to 3000 mbps performance using Tri band and patented fastlane3 (TM) technology for heavy...
Ranking in our list as the best entry in terms of overall performance– the EX8000 Wi-FI Extender is a top-tier product from the renowned NightHawk Series of Networking Devices made by Netgear. The extender had blown out the rest of the competition- securing the top spot in terms of speed and range by a huge margin.
The Nighthawk X6S Extender can combine its functionalities with any normal router and form an actual mesh network connection- allowing even better coverage. The size may be an issue for some. However, it also works in its advantage. There are 6 non-detachable internal antennas and better hardware components that allow proper tri-band coverage up to 168 feet.
The Nighthawk X6S EX8000 functions on a powerful Quad-Core Processor the Wi-Fi standard 802.11 ac with a tri bandwidth frequency. The extender also houses 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Ports and a USB 2.0 for better connectivity and transfer.
- Extreme Performance speeds up to 3000 MB/S
- Easy Software setup
- 6 antennas for better signal strength and transmission
- Multiple cool features- Beamforming, MU-MIMO
- Coverage up to 2500 Square feet and can power up to 50 devices
- Bulky and heavy
- It is expensive
#2 – TP-Link RE650 AC2600 Wi-Fi Range Extender
- Extend the range of your Wi Fi with the dual band RE650, compatible with any type of Router / Gateway / Access Point...
- Quad Antenna design for ultimate coverage for all areas of your home
- MU-MIMO Wave 2 technology allows the RE650 to talk to Multiple devices at once for optimal Performance between devices....
The telecommunication major TP-Link is popular worldwide due to providing solid products at affordable rates. The RE650 AC2600 Wi-Fi Range Extender has emerged as the best choice in coverage among the wifi-extenders in the plug-in design format. The highlighting feature of this TP-Link extender is also the only negative point the reviewers could find- ironically.
The Wi-Fi Extender has a great coverage area- functioning fluidly even at a distance of 75 feet. Unfortunately, this long-range also means the blockage of nearby adjacent outlets. It is ideally suited for big houses for the same issue.
Other than that, TP-Link does a superb job in creating a plug-in design that can provide high speeds at a comfortable speed.
The RE 650 operates on the 4 stream AC 2600 Dual Band Wi-Fi with simultaneous throughput speeds reaching up to 800 MB/S on the 2.4 GHz bandwidth and up to 1733 MB/S on the 5GHz bandwidth. The extender also has added features like 4×4 MU-MIMO, Beamforming technology, Gigabit Ethernet Port for high-speed connectivity and an Intelligent Signal Light to determine the location for the best signal.
- Good performance with speeds up to 2500 MB/s total
- 4 external dual-band antennas for better performance
- User-friendly interface and easy to install options
- Phone/tablet control using the TP-Link Tether App
- Wide area coverage up to 14,000 Square Feet as per company claims
- Interrupts the signals of nearby outlets.
- Only one port.
#3 – Netgear EX6200 Dual-Band AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender
- Range extenders eliminate dead zones and improves WiFi coverage in your home
- NETGEAR extenders are easy to set up with the push of a button or mobile responsive User Interface
- Combined speeds up to 1.2 Gbps (AC1200) for fast, reliable connections. Dual Band Extends 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi signals...
The EX 6200 is Netgear’s answer to affordable router extenders for large houses and residential places. The design may seem a bit uncommon- most of the extenders in that price range are plug-in variants. The rather Desktop appearance has other advantages- including cutting edge performance usually seen in the much pricier alternatives.
The Netgear EX6200 houses 5 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Ports- enough to keep everyone happy. The Expander operates on the AAC 1200 technology and wireless standard 802.11 ac dual broadband- supporting bandwidth frequencies both from the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The extender also has USB 3.0 features to allow better printer connectivity and file transfer among multiple devices.
The main negative thing that can be said about the Netgear EX6200 Dual-Band Extender is the lack of a proper overhaul channel for data. However, the positives are far too many to ignore one aspect. The device dimensions are 9.7×6.9×1.2 inches. In terms of speed, the Netgear EX6200 provides a decent AC1200 dual-band speed up to 300+900= 1200 MB/S.
- Superior performance, especially considering the price range
- It can be placed both horizontally or vertically.
- 5 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Ports and USB 3.0 Port.
- Decent coverage range of 85 feet.
- 700 mW power design with a dual-core processor
- Suitable for both gaming and HD Video streaming purposes
- Bulky and difficult to carry around.
#4 – Linksys RE7000 Max-Stream AC 1900+ Wi-Fi Extender
- ELIMINATE DEAD ZONES AND BOOST AC1900 plus WIFI RANGE: Extend your home WiFi to hard-to-reach locations in your home...
- EXTEND NEXT-GEN AC WIFI TO MULTIPLE USERS WITH MULTI USER-MIMO: Next-Gen AC with MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input,...
- ROOM-TO-ROOM WIFI WITH SEAMLESS ROAMING: The AC1900 plus Range Extender offers Seamless Roaming as you move around your...
An entry made by the reliable network product supplier Linksys, The RE7000 packs a huge punch in a small package. A perfect product for those who do not want their extenders to stand out- the Linksys repeater has a tiny plug-in design shape- compact and minimalistic.
Working on the AC 1900+ technology-the RE7000 is proficient in removing dead zones from your apartment and features Mu-MIMO technology. The setup is also fairly easy- even for tech-novices. A simple Push Button Connect, combined with the Spot Finder Technology guides you at the best place for the performance of the repeater.
The RE7000 has a superb coverage area of 10,000 square feet. The repeater can provide speeds up to 1.9 GB/S with its dual bands of 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. In addition, the Cross-Band technology allows the user to download and upload at the same time- dedicating one bandwidth for each. The range extender can also be set up to function as a Wi-Fi Access point.
- Mu-MIMO technology for multiple device access
- Wireless MAC Filtering.
- Easy to set up and use with Push Button Connect and Spot Finder
- Gigabit LAN Ethernet Port for connecting Smart TVs, game consoles or other
- Compact design dimensions 4.9×3.2×1.7 inches
- Tends to overheat
Buying Guide for the Best Router Extenders
It makes sense to know at least a few basic information about the routers. The basic information is helpful in determining the right extender according to your needs and requirements.
1-What is the variation in the price range of Wi-Fi Router Extenders?
There is a wide price gap between the cheapest ones and the expensive ones. You can buy the cheapest ones at less than $50. Most of the Newer adapters with added benefits like the Mu-Mimo and Beamforming do cost more. However, even the best ones are available below $200.
2-Should I prefer the plug-in design or the Desktop variant of Wireless Extender?
The desktop shaped wireless extenders (or repeaters) may be bulky, heavy and difficult to carry around. On the plus side- they also excel in smoothly delivering the desired workloads without any glitch or lag. The plug-in design extenders are cheaper, perform at lower speeds but are easy to set up and install.
3-What should I know about Wi-Fi Standards?
The Wireless network standard has much to do with respect to the internet speed of your wireless network- whatever its configuration might be. You would experience difficulties or lower speeds if the wireless standards of your network and the router expander does not match. The current popular standard is 802.11 ac. Ensure that the extender is compatible with your network standards.
4-How to get improved results from the extender?
One of the most important things that you should look around for is the placement. You should be looking for places that can have a strong signal zone for rebroadcasting the radio wave signal used in both wireless routers and extenders. In addition, keep in mind that placing at a distance will improve your coverage and increase the Wireless network area.
You could also think of an upgrade if you feel that the speed/coverage provided by the route extenders is insufficient. Having a newer improved model will increase the performance- while combining old with compatible new router extenders will create a mesh network at your home itself.
Having a clear grasp of the requirements helps a great deal in the final selection of the perfect router extender/signal booster for your home. You should consider the coverage distance, facilities you might be needing- Beamforming and MU-MIMO for example.
If you are looking for the cutting-edge in technological advancement- where the monetary amount is not a deciding factor at all- choosing the Netgear Nighthawk X6S EX8000 is the best option. With a superior quad-core processor and tri-band frequency bandwidth, it may be costly compared to its contemporaries. However, the plus points are far too many to ignore. All the all, the best in overall performance.
If you are looking to buy something affordable and not burning a hole inside your pocket. TP-Link stands out in a comfortable position at the lead. There are connectivity issues in this plug-in type extender. There are multiple plus points to make it a worthwhile purchase- with 75 square feet of wireless network coverage distance. The best budget-friendly options.
If you want the best of both the worlds, look for the Netgear EX6200 Dual Band Wi-Fi router extender. This product is perfect for those who are into gaming- but cannot enjoy steady uninterrupted internet access due to dead zones, poor signal strengths and more. The wholesome gaming paradise experience gets unlocked and at affordable prices too.
- Best Wireless Routers for Large House
- Best Mesh Wi-Fi System
- Best WiFi Adapter for Gaming
- Best Ethernet Cable for Gaming
- Best PCI-E Wireless Card for Desktop Computers