Are you expecting to use less of your mobile data when you are at home? Do you see that your mobile data network switches on often because the Wi-Fi signal is too weak?
It could be because of Wi-Fi dead zones in your home.
Today, with wireless router systems, you can enjoy the full live telecast of your favorite game from any corner of your house.
Yes. Gone are the days of inconsistent data connectivity and searching for areas with strong signal strength at your premises. There are several manufacturers producing cutting-edge router devices that ensure your entire house falls well under the Wi-Fi range. In this article, we will be looking at some of the best available routers in the market in various categories.
Best Wireless Routers for Large House with Reviews
With so many options available in popular e-commerce sites like Amazon, it might be difficult to shortlist a few and finalize a product for purchase. There are several factors one should check starting from signal transmission quality, range, ease of use, additional features. The variation in each model may have a few pros and cons. This article will guide you through the best Wi-Fi routers for your large house- as decided by our panel of experts.
#1 – NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 – Best Whole Home Coverage
- Ultra-performance Mesh WiFi network blankets every inch of your home in super fast and seamless WiFi connectivity - room...
- Eliminates WiFi dead zones and buffering - 5,000 square feet of consistent coverage - with speeds up to 30 Gbps.
- The most award-winning Mesh WiFi system on the planet: PC Mag, CNET, Wirecutter, Forbes, SmallNetBuilder.
Who doesn’t like a multi-point mesh router system supporting Google Assistant and Alexa with 2X faster speed? Then try NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 system.
It’s the best mesh networking technology that can keep you connected for incredible distances as you roam through in your house because guess what, this 2 pack can connect to 25+ devices up to 5,000 sq.ft.
It’s a router that you plug into broadband and a satellite unit placed. This Orbi can replace your existing extender or router. It’s Cable Wi-Fi System acts as router/modem and replace your existing cable gateway or modem.
Though it’s a quite expensive home Wi-Fi kit, it never fails in providing the fastest Wi-Fi coverage to a lot of ground. There’s no best Wi-Fi routers list without NETGEAR Orbi RBK50 in the first place, so it’s worth it.
- Easy set-up
- Largest, fastest, and strongest Wi-Fi coverage with weather-proof outdoor extensions.
- It’s not a mesh wireless system but acts the same to extend the network by satellite units.
- Perfect for internet plans up to 500mbps.
- Different Wi-Fi systems for every house with 1.2Gbps-6.0Gbps
- It’s a bit expensive.
- Limited USB functionality.
#2 – NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK X10 AD7200 R9000 – Best Overall Performance
- Fast WIFI Performance: Get up to 2500 sq ft wireless coverage with AD7200 speed (Tri-band up to 800 + 1733 + 4600 Mbps -...
- Recommended Up to 45 Devised: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 6 x 1...
What if you could get your hands on a router that does more than just helping you get good network? Enter the Netgear Nighthawk X10, which works seamlessly with Alexa.
One of the most powerful wireless routers available in the market- this high-performance beast performs its functions flawlessly at 802.11 AC Quad Stream Wave2 Wi-Fi Standards. In addition, it also features the latest 802.11 AD technology for 60 GHz devices. It is the top-end of the famous Nighthawk Series made by networking equipment manufacturer Netgear.
The Wireless router features a ton of advancements in comparison to its competitors- starting from Quad-Stream functioning, a superior 1.7 GHz QuadCore Processor for higher quality data streaming, and dynamic QoS. The Maximum Speed Can reach up to 4600+1733+800= well over 7000MB/S. The R9000 can run a stable Wi-Fi zone- with a coverage area of up to 2500 Square Feet. That’s enough to power your entire home easily – unless you are living in a mansion.
The Nighthawk X10 AD7200(R9000) features an installed flash memory of 250 GB, with added connectivity features using the Plex Media Server option. The powerful processor enables multiple users simultaneously along with Ethernet Port Aggregation. The advanced technology allows users to combine two LAN ports while increasing transfer speed. The device has four adjustable antennas for better signal reception and its blue LEDs (mounted on the antennas) to indicate the Switched-On Status of the Wi-Fi Radio.
- Superior speed up to 7.2 GB/S with 802.11 AC and the latest 802.11 AD
- Loaded with advanced features- Mu-MIMO, Plex Media Server support, Amazon Drive Cloud Backup
- Mobile Connectivity features using the NetGenie
- Parental Control features
- Dual USB 3.0 Ports For faster data access
- 6 Ethernet LAN Ports
- MU-MIMO features could have been much better
#3 – ASUS RT-AC88U – Best Multi-Device Performance
- 1024 Qam technology 80 percent faster 5 GigaHertz at up to 2100 Mbps, 66 percent faster 2. 4 GigaHertz at up to 1000...
- 33 percent greater 2. 4 GigaHertz coverage with a 4 transmit, 4 receive (4T4R) antenna design, able to reach our widest...
- Expansive connectivity options: with exclusively has 8 x Gigabit LAN ports for up to eight Ethernet compatible devices...
Asus RT-AC88U dual-band router is one of the best Wi-Fi gaming routers ever with super cool network speed that values every penny spent on it.
From the AiProtection network security to the AiMesh for Mesh Wi-Fi system, there is a lot to love about the router. There is also a WTFast game Accelerator feature, which ensures that your games run smoothly, even when the Wi-Fi speed isn’t that great. With four antennas, the high-power technology offers a good range of operation. Its ultra-speed performance is the best to stream up to 4K Ultra HD videos, online gaming by supporting the latest gen consoles like PlayStation® 4.
This dual-band router has 400+867 Mbps with a total speed is 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi. It’s multi-purpose USB 3.0 port can download files on USB drive without PC, with 10X faster data transfer. Switch between 3G and 4G as you want. The ASUS AiCloud support allows access to stream and shares files from PC to home to different internet-connected devices.
- Full Wi-Fi Speed on Multiple Devices Simultaneously
- Powerful 128 MB memory.
- Multi-purpose USB 3.0 port.
- Super-fast network speed.
- Four external antennas with AiRadar for an improved Wi-Fi range.
- Parental Control
- Four LAN ports and one WAN port
- Easy set up in three steps
- Powerful processor and highest network speed
- To use MU-MIMO feature, the client must support it too.
- Unsuitable for UniFi 800Mbps users.
- Non-detachable antennas.
#4 – ASUS RT-AC5300 – High performance meets style and functionality
- Tri band (Dual 5 GHz, single 2; 4 GHz) with the latest 802; 11AC 4x4 technology for maximum throughput (5334 Mbps) and...
- Mu memo technology enables multiple compatible clients to connect at each client’s respective maximum speed; Supports...
- Built in ACCESS to Waist gamers private network (GPN) of route optimized servers ensures low, stable ping times for...
The Taiwanese computer giant ASUS is one of the biggest names in manufacturing anything related to computers and specializing in high-end gaming parts, laptops. The ROG Rapture is an addition to the legendary ROG game series. The Rapture GT-AC 5300 is a router designed targeting the hardcore gaming community.
High-resolution online gaming requires a stable high-speed connection as the games transmit large amounts of data per second. In case of a weak router- issues of lagging or signal interruptions can lead to frustration and, in extreme cases, system breakdown. It is compatible with Alexa- allowing Voice Control commands from the user.
A 1.8 GHz 64-bit Quad-core processor powers the Rog AC5300. Operating on the 802.11AC Wi-Fi standard, the router can provide speeds up to 5334 MB/S largely due to NitroQAM. The triband technology boosts both the 2.4 GHz and dual 5GHz bandwidth frequency rate. Additional features include the Tri-band Smart Connect, a 4×4 antenna design with AiRadar beamforming. It also features a VPN Fusion technology and 8 gigabit-Ethernet LAN ports.
- Superior Protection from external threats powered by TrendMicro
- User-friendly ASUSWRT Interface for control and advanced functions
- Available Mobile Connectivity Features with ASUS Router app
- MU-MIMO ready and 8 external detachable antennas
- Best-in-class distance coverage up to 5000 Square Feet.
- Smart App Works Locally- not remotely
- Tends to overheat at times
#5 – TP-LINK ARCHER A7 AC1750 WIRELESS DUAL BAND – Prize-winning Router for your home
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering...
TP-Link has garnered a reputation as one of the best providers of networking equipment throughout the world at an affordable rate. The Archer A7 router has been awarded the J.D. Power 2019 Award for “Highest in Customer Satisfaction for Wireless Routers”. The router covers over a large area of around 2500 square feet-providing steady uninterrupted internet connectivity and uniform signal transmission.
The powerful 3 external antennas provide a superior connection- with dual broadband supports at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and a total internet speed of up to 1750 MB/S(450+1300). The additional features provided make the Archer A7 a better buying option than many higher-priced routers.
The TP-Link AC1750 also houses 4 Gigabit LAN Ports and integrated USB Servers for USB functionality. The Archer is compatible with Alexa and provides features for remote access- a big plus. The router also provides WPA/WPA2 encryption for the protection of your devices from external cyber threats, parental controls, and guest access.
- Rated the best in Customer Satisfaction by J.D. Power in 2019
- Best value for money option
- Speeds up to 1750 MB/S, dual bandwidth support and 4 LAN Ports
- Compatible with Alexa, Remote Access and Parental Controls
- No provision for USB 3.0
- Slow File Transfer Speeds
#6 – LINKSYS EA3650 AC1200 – Large features in a small compact shape
- Provides up to 1,000 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage for 10 wireless devices
- Works with existing modem, simple setup through Linksys app
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
Looking for a compact minimalistic design? Check out the Linksys EA6350 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Router. An acclaimed name in the world of networking technology, this Linksys router scores big on value for money and functionality. Providing an coverage area suited for small homes, the router is powered by a single-core 800 MHz processor that operates on the 802.11ac router.
The router provides throughput theoretical speeds up to 300 MB/S on the dual 2.4 GHz bandwidth and 867 MB/S on the 5 GHz bandwidth, totaling a speed exceeding 1100 MB/S in the dual bandwidth frequency. There are cool additional features too with a USB3.0, Smart Wi-Fi controls, 4 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, and two external antennae.
The Linksys EA3650 also features a WAN port, along with parental control, monitoring the network uses, creating Password-protected guest Networks. The installation procedure is simply a breeze- requiring no CD Installation.
- Wireless technology based on AC1200 and 802.11 standard
- Speeds up to 1.2 GB/S on the dual bandwidth network
- Beamforming technology and area coverage up to 1000 square feet
- Easy to use and install using the Linksys App
- Can power upto 10 wireless devices
- Non-detachable and non-adjustable antenna
- Variations in the transfer speed at times
#7 – NETGEAR R6700 AC1750 SMART WIRELESS ROUTER – Reliable and Versatile
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1...
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming plus,...
Another entry from the acclaimed Nighthawk series by Netgear, this stylish router, is loaded with enough attributes to get featured in this list. The Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router is compatible with voice control from Google Alexa and can power up to 25 devices at once. Boasting a stellar Wi-FI coverage area of up to 1500 square feet.
The R6700 scores big on network speed- providing speeds of up to 1750 MB/S in a dual broadband configuration. The router has 4 wired Ethernet LAN ports. The R6700 has seen tons of advancement in technology compared to its predecessors- with a 1 GHz dual-core processor, Beamforming, Dynamic QoS, and many more.
The R6700 has 3 amplified external antennas for better signal strength and the ever-useful USB 3.0 port- offering multiple times faster transfer speeds than the previous USB 2.0. Users can also operate the printer/access the storage drive from any of the devices connected to the network. Netgear values your security concerns and provides additional features such as Parental Control, Network Monitoring, Netgear Armor, Guest Network, Firewall, VPN, and more.
- Netgenie app- with several features including Remote Access
- Triple external antenna for better signal strength and transmission
- 4 wired Gigabit Ethernet LAN Ports- with network capacity up to 25 devices
- Beamforming technology, USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and a host of other added features
- The trial Netgear Armor version could have been full
- MU-MIMO service not available
Buying Guide For the Best Router in Your Home
A likely question to pop into your mind- How to select the right router to suit all the needs and requirements. A router for the workspace will have a large number of connected devices, a larger coverage area. There will be a need for higher specifications, speed, and data transmissions. However, in case of a house- the requirements would be much lesser- unless you live in a mansion. Here are some of the necessary factors you need to keep in mind before making the payment.
Specifications and Brand Name Matters
It is easy to get confused between the vast number of available choices and variations in specifications. You can instead rely on a reputed manufacturing brand like Netgear, TP-Link, ASUS, Linksys to get an assured quality product.
In addition, Wi-Fi networking technologies below AC1200 are considered as backdated. Buy anything starting from AC1200 or above. These router devices have enough power to tackle multiple devices in your network and cover your entire house area.
Checking the Available Security Features
High-Security features are a must for both domestic uses and are necessary for the household network and the office as well. However, in the case of households- it is unlikely that you would be spending your money on additional cybersecurity. Opt for products that have a robust Firewall system. It will help to defend your devices and personal data from hacking and viruses alike.
Reviewing the Hardware Components
Good hardware components are key to the better performance of a device. A router having a quad-core processor will obviously function better than a dual-core one. The same can be said about dual-core and single-core CPUs.
Your selection should take into consideration the desired network connectivity required, number of devices on the network. Go for higher configurations if there are a large number of devices or if you are heavily into high resolution online gaming.
File Transfer Options
A modern router allows you to access the device from any of the devices connected to the network. It also allows similar access to storage devices like pen drive or HDDs attached to the router. USB 3.0 is much faster than its predecessor- the USB 2.0. An ideal machine should have both the USB options.
MU-MIMO, Beamforming, Smart Connect, and More.
MU-MIMO is an acronym for Multi-User- Multiple Input, Multiple Output. This handy feature allows multiple users to access the internet through the same router.
Beamforming technology allows the router to automatically detect the position of the device – instead of transmitting a uniform signal throughout the coverage area. Beamforming technology helps in increasing the overall network speed. Smart Connect allows the selection of a less busy broadband signal path for higher speeds.
- Best Mesh Wi-Fi System
- Best Wi-Fi Router Extenders for Blazing Fast Internet
- Best Firewall for Home
- Best MoCA Adapter for Your Home
- Best Cable Modem For Time Warner Cable
- Best Router For Charter Spectrum
- Best Router for Verizon Fios
- Best WiFi Router for Gaming
- Best Routers for Long Range
- How far will your Wifi signal reach?
- Easy Tips To Increase The Range Of Your Wireless Router
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax): A cheat sheet
- Who Has the Fastest Internet Connection in the World?
- 5GHz WiFi Disadvantages
- What is a Wi-Fi Signal Booster and How Does It Work?
- Can Two Routers Be Used on the Same Home Network?
- Wi-Fi 6 vs Ethernet: who is taking the connectivity crown?