Buying your own router for Charter Spectrum is quite beneficial. However, the company also offers its own device, but they charge considerable fees for it in the name of WIFI fee, so beware of the hidden charges if they say that it is completely free because you will wonder about it when you receive a monthly bill.
Instead of renting a router from Charter Spectrum, it is better to buy your own router because this way, you will not have to bear the rental fees. Moreover, you will have better coverage and control over your home network. There is a number of routers available that have an improved capacity to utilize the speed your spectrum offers.
So, here are some of the highly-rated routers available in the market. These routers are personally tested and offer extensive coverage for your home or office. In the end, you will also find a buying guide that will help you to get a better modem from the number of options available.
5 Best Routers for Charter Spectrum
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1600 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit...
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, WOW.,...
- Built-in high-speed Wi-Fi router with AC1600 Wi-Fi provides Internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones,...
- It offers fast and reliable internet connectivity.
- It has a compact design.
- It enables wireless functioning.
- It has dual bandwidth.
- It utilizes DFS frequencies for better performance.
- It is compatible with most ISPs.
- It is a combination of router and modem.
- It is not compatible with certain service providers.
- It does not have a phone jack, so it can not be used to make or attend calls.
- AC1600 Dual-band
- Gigabit router
- 686 Mbps maximum speed
- DOCSIS 3.0
If you don’t have a budget constraint but want to cut off your router’s rental charges, then MOTOROLA MG7540 is a must buy. It offers fast and reliable internet connectivity to several devices. It is not only compatible with Charter Spectrum but a number of other service providers like Comcast Xfinity and Cox etc. However, there are few service providers it does not work with, so it is a downside.
MOTOROLA MG7540 offers fast internet speed to all your WIFI supported devices like smartphones, HDTVs, Gaming stations, computers, Ethernet, and other WIFI devices. This router utilizes dual-band technology that offers 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands for better WIFI connectivity and the least traffic.
This combo device is a space-saving combination of a modem and a router that provides wireless connectivity, fast and reliable internet service, and saves a huge space. This router enables the WIFI to work on DFS frequencies, so it prevents interference caused by neighbors that slow down your connection. All in all, MOTOROLA MG7540 is a reasonable investment if you have a good budget.
2.Linksys EA7300 WiFi Router
- Provides up to 1,500 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage for 10plus wireless devices
- Works with existing modem, simple setup through Linksys App. Minimum system requirements-Internet Explorer versions 8...
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- It is a perfect router for your home and family.
- It offers fast and reliable connectivity to multiple devices.
- It provides up to 1500 sq ft. of WiFi coverage.
- It supports a free application for remote control.
- It provides parental control.
- You can prioritize your devices to reduce bandwidth limitations.
- High price
- Gigabit router
- 7 Gbps maximum speed
- DOCSIS 3.0
Linksys EA7300 is a Gigabit router that provides fast WiFi connectivity to your wireless devices. This router utilizes MIMO technology that allows connecting multiple users without facing lags in the connectivity. Through this technology, The router sends WIFI signals with the same speed simultaneously to all the wireless devices. Linksys EA7300 offers dual bandwidth speed up to 1.7 Gbps that support live streaming, online gaming, etc.
Moreover, The Max-stream is equipped with a Dual-core processor that offers fast data transfer to multiple devices. It is furnished with three antennas that deliver reliable signals. These antennas make sure that the signals reach each and every place of your home. The device is a perfect gear for the small premises. In addition, It supports simple to use the smart application through which you can control the WIFI remotely. This application supports both android and IOS devices. You can also set parental control when you are away from your home and make sure that your kids have safe access to the internet.
One more great feature is the facility to create a separate guest network through which you can share your WIFI password with your guests through messages or emails. Another value-added feature is the prioritization of your wireless devices. You can prioritize the device to get a faster speed and overcome bandwidth constraints all at an exceptional price.
3.NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 1800 square feet wireless coverage with AC1900 speed (Dual band up to 600 + 1300 Mbps)
- Recommended for up to 30 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1...
- It offers connectivity to many devices.
- It offers fast and reliable performance.
- The router can be controlled remotely.
- It offers parental control.
- It has an affordable price
- Gigabit router
- 1750 Mbps maximum speed
- DOCSIS 3.0
If you have a tight budget, then NETGEAR Nighthawk has got you covered with 1500 sq. Ft coverage and range boosting beamforming, This WIFI router offers fast and reliable connectivity to each and every room of your house. It is highly suitable for activities like live streaming and online gaming etc.
This router offers WIFI connectivity to 25 devices simultaneously. It not only minimizes interference but also maximizes the internet speed. The router has a built-in threat protection system that protects your connected devices from any malware. Moreover, you can also download the Circle app from the play store and enjoy free parental control of the WiFi usage by your kids. It also provides a wired connection to your PC and laptop etc. that offer more reliable connectivity. Thanks to the price that makes this device worth buying.
4.TP-Link N450 WiFi Router
- Up to 450Mbps of wireless speed and 4-Gigabit Ethernet ports are ideal for multiple HD video streaming
- 3-external 5dBi antennas for fully extended wireless coverage
- Wireless security encryption easily at a push of WPS Button
- It is an extremely affordable price
- It is very fast and reliable.
- It offers remote parental control.
- It offers Advanced security encryption.
- Four Fast Ethernet ports.
- It offers to limit the bandwidth by prioritizing the device.
- It has very limited coverage.
- Gigabit router
- 450 Mbps maximum speed
- Wireless G (802.11g)
TP-Link N450 wireless router is a very budget-friendly router for your home. Although his router has very limited coverage t is reasonable when your home’s area is concerned. However, wireless technology is exceptional and offers three times faster connectivity with wireless devices. The router is equipped with three 5dBi antennas to get the hard to reach places covered.
The router is equipped with four fast Ethernet ports that enable you to share data rapidly to any device. It also offers unique parental control through which you can keep your children away from the misuse remotely. Prioritize the device and set a bandwidth limit to avoid overcrowding with IP-Based Qos. TP-link is a well know brand that is reliable and safe. It also provides advanced security encryption, just a tap away.
The best thing about this gear is its price that can compel anyone to grab and try the device once and always.
5.D-LINK WIFI Router
- Simultaneous dual band Wi-Fi: Browse the web on one band while streaming media on the other
- High gain antennas: 4 high powered antennas and amplifiers provide wider coverage throughout your home
- Gigabit ports: Connect up to 4 wired devices; 802. 11AC Wireless Specification delivers blazing fast wireless...
- It has powerful antennas for better coverage.
- Fast and reliable performance.
- It offers device prioritization.
- Affordable price.
- It has reasonable wired connectivity
- Asy to use user interface.
- Gigabit router
- Wireless G (802.11g)
Here comes another mediocre level as far as the price range is concerned. This device is also very suitable for your home WIFI connection because it offers reliable connectivity with multiple devices. It offers great coverage, Bandwidth prioritization, and easy parental controls to avoid misuse of the internet.
It is equipped with high-quality antennas to get the hard-to-reach spaces covered in your home or office. Moreover, it is furnished with fast gigabit Ethernet ports to allowed better-wired connectivity of the charter spectrum. Moreover, the device comes with an easy-to-use control panel making it an appealing choice.
Buying Guide to Choose the Best Router for Charter Spectrum
There is a number of factors you should ponder over when you go to choose the most suitable modem for the charter spectrum. It may be a WiFi Standard, its speed, Connection type, and so on.
Types of Routers for Charter Spectrum
Make sure that you buy a router that is compatible with your charter spectrum speed. Those routers or modems that are spectrum optimized are the best choices provided they offer the compatible speed package.
Specification suggested by Spectrum for Routers
- At least 802.11ac according to upgraded WIFI standard
- You must have Gigabit LAN ports to connect the home PCs, laptops, and other devices.
- Dual-Band WIFI (2.4 GHz and 4 GHz) is recommended.
Choosing the Best Router
The faster theoretical speed is 802.11ac that can be offered by any WiFi Router. However, this is the ideal speed, and most of the time, your router is unable to accommodate such a high speed.
Your internet connection’s real speed largely depends upon your router’s antennae and the number of users you have utilizing the same connection. However, you must also ensure that there is no distraction or interference between the router and the device.
Router’s bandwidth does matter when you go to choose the best router for the charter spectrum. It depends upon how many devices do you want it to connect. There are two types of routers available i.e., dual-band routers or tri-band routers. The Dual-band routers can connect with either the 2.4 GHz band or the 5GHz band, that is why it can connect to many devices. However, the Tri-band routers offer a 5GHz band as well. In order to enjoy better connectivity, greater speed, and lowest traffic, It is recommended to buy at least a dual-band router.
Ethernet port is an important factor that is usually overlooked while buying a reasonable router for the chartered spectrum. Make sure that your Ethernet port supports the speed of your charter spectrum plan.
Modem versus Router
There is a considerable difference between a modem and a router. The modem is a gear that connects your device to the internet while the router connects your devices with the WIFI. There is a lot of confusion in people’s mind about the operation and functions of both. That is why it is important to know about them before going to buy a suitable device.
What is a Modem?
A modem is a device that deciphers the signals from the ISP and connects straight to the internet. The modem does not have to do anything with a local network or WIFI. The biggest disadvantage of a modem is that it cannot connect many devices to the internet as a router does.
What is a Router?
A router is a device that can connect many devices to the WIFI. It creates a local area network and involves a modem to connect to the internet. Routers can connect smart gadgets to the internet like your smartphone, tablets, security system, and other smart home devices. It offers a very versatile wireless connectivity that has made lives easier. Sometimes, you may have to buy multiple routers in order to provide full coverage to your home or office. However, you can also buy the range-extender that can be connected to a router and increase its range.
Modem and Router Combo Devices
I hope you have got a better idea about what and how to choose by clarifying these concepts. However, we have also got a modem with integrated routers that can carry out both functions. You can rent these router combo devices from your internet service provider or purchase them from any market or any online store.
Favorite Brands of Routers for Charter Spectrum
The market is flooded with a number of brands that offer high-quality routers. However, most bestselling brands include TP-Link, Asus, Netgear, Zoom, and Motorola, etc.
So, These were few of the highly-rated routers and combo devices that can make a real difference to your lifestyle. These techy gears offer a fast and reliable charter spectrum connection that will definitely compel you to buy one of them.
- Best Wireless Routers for Large House
- Best Cheap Wireless Routers Under $50
- Best Router for Verizon Fios
- Best WiFi Router for Gaming