Whether it be for personal use or organizational efficiency, you would want your routers to work the best. Many of the ones that you buy though aren’t put to their limit, or may not be suited to your interests. Some, for instance, may not allow VPN’s to run by default, or lack extra security controls. Or, you may want to buy a range extender to cover up your required space, but experiencing a dip in internet speeds is common.
What if you didn’t have to buy one and could get an extended coverage area? What if you wanted to enhance the performance of your router, boosting its speed and improving its functionality, thus turning it into a business-class router?
DD-WRT is the answer.
By installing the DD-WRT firmware, you can overcome the inbuilt restrictions of your router’s firmware, vastly expanding its capabilities and even unlocking some advanced features.
DD-WRT, a firmware for wireless routers and access points, is designed to replace the router’s original firmware with custom firmware – helping you get access to additional features. The firmware, launched in 2005 by a team based in Dresden, Germany is so popular that some companies even ship their routers pre-installed with DD_WRT.
Every router that you buy has a firmware.
The firmware decides what your router’s capabilities are, even if its in-built abilities are more. Think of it as jailbreaking your phone, except that this one’s legal. You can use the in-built hardware acceleration drivers to have your router perform at its full speed. It’s especially useful if you have older routers, as many of these didn’t function according to its capability. The newer ones often fare better on their own, and installing DD-WRT may not make much of a difference.
Features of DD-WRT
DD-WRT boasts a lot of features, some even unique.
- Advanced wireless mode
- Accessible to multiple clients at once
- Bandwidth control and access restriction
- Strong firewall and security
- Supports OpenVPN and WireGuard
- Supports RADIUS and VLink Kai networks
- Wireless distribution system
- Supports VPN, PPTP and L2TP
- Supports 3G/4G VAN
Top Benefits of DD-WRT
Apart from the signal boost, DD-WRT includes better accessibility and personalization.
DD-WRT is compatible with VPN service providers, unlike most other stock firmware. You have open VPN, PPTP and L2TP client options. You can create your own VPN server within the router, which allows you to access the access your home network through VPN any time, from anywhere.
This feature is thus perfect for work and travel. It also allows you to turn any router into a range extender.
Increasing the maximum range
Installing DD-WRT in your router will let it overcome the range restriction set by its stock firmware, thus allowing it to cover more area.
DD-WRT offers an option for creating access points, wireless repeaters or extenders as well as a wireless client bridge for adding wired clients to a network. It also allows you to create up to ten access policies if you wanted to use user restrictions on your network. You can personalize and limit the usage of the internet in accordance with the user, time of the day, or day of the week.
Enhances the security of your network. Also has a strong firewall that blocks unauthorized access.
Block services or Enable VPNs the Easy Way
Allows you to shut out bandwidth killers such as torrents, gaming websites, or YouTube, thus saving data. You can also restrict access to websites by using URLs or keywords. On the other hand, you can ensure better VPN support too, having the traffic from all connected devices rout through a secure tunnel – useful if you are worried about your privacy.
Hotspot creation services
Allows you to create and integrate free wifi hotspots.
Option to control bandwidth quality
Allows you to control the quality of bandwidth. For example, the quality of bandwidth can be increased for Netflix and other streaming sites, for better streaming quality.
Gives you the performance graph of your router so that you can monitor the overall performance of your network.
Stay updated with security threats, and to expand its benefits and other features. It also fixes bugs very often. Most of the routers will be automatically updated, but some won’t, so you will have to check for the update feature for the model of your router.
Precautions When Installing DD-WRT
- Make sure that your router is set to its default settings before installation.
- Hook the router up to a reliable power source.
- Check if you have the right version of DD-WRT that is compatible to your router’s model.
While installing DD-WRT in your router, get professional help if you’re unsure. Remember, tampering with the router will nullify its warranty, if any. You can read more about the installation process and its does and doesn’t do on this page.
DD-WRT COMMUNITY AND WEBSITE
There is an online community in the official website of DD-WRT where you can sign up and follow up on the latest announcements regarding the firmware, such as upgrades and router launches. You can also ask questions and resolve you queries regarding DD-WRT with the help of the forum. It also facilitates its member to send emails directly to the developers of the firmware.
The Top DD-WRT Routers that You Can Find Today
Amongst routers that come with pre-installed DD-WRT, here are a few that you will love when it comes to performance and accessibility.
1. ASUS GT-AC5300
- Tri-band (dual 5 GHz, single 2.4 GHz) AC5300 wireless router with the latest 802.11ac 4x4 MU-MIMO technology for maximum...
- 1.8GHz 64bit Quad-Core processor maximizes data throughput from 8-ports and dual USB 3.0 for optimizing network traffic...
- VPN Fusion enables you to run a VPN and ordinary internet connection simultaneously, effectively maximizing your...
Presented as a gaming router, this giant can power up to a maximum range of 5,000 sq. ft – a powerful hardware that can connect your entire home. With a 1.4GHz Dual-Core processor and a 512 MB DDR RAM, it offers the cross platform compatibility you are looking for.
- Tri–Band router, two bands of 5GHz and one of 2.4GHz, can deliver up to 2.167Mbps and 1,000Mbps of data, respectively
- Eight external antennas, detachable – almost 30% higher efficiency than normal antennas
- Eight Ethernet ports
- NitroQAMTM technology
- 12 Low-distortion power amplifiers and 3 WiFi Hardware Accelerators
- Cross platform compatibility
- Dual WAN (one of the LAN ports can be turned into an extra WAN port)
- Expensive and bulky
- More suitable for advanced users than normal users
2. NETGEAR R7800(AC2600)
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 2500 square feet wireless coverage with AC2600 speed (Dual band up to 800 + 1733 Mbps)....
- Recommended for up to 45 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- Wired Ethernet ports: plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1...
This router(R7800) provides you with a personal cloud and comes with features to access the network remotely. With its MU-MIMO and Quad Stream technology you can play games while streaming a movie at 4K in another device without lags.
- Total WiFi speeds up to 2.53 Gbps
- 160MHz bandwidth support
- Uses the Multi-User MIMO and Quad Stream Technology
- 1.7GHz Dual-Core processor
- Dynamic QoS that prioritizes internet traffic
- WiFi coverage up to 2500 sq. ft. and 45 devices
- Four external high-performance antennas with powerful amplifiers
- Slower performance when compared to other gaming routers
- The software could be upgraded
- Expensive still
3. TP-Link Archer A9(AC1900)
- Wave 2 Wireless Internet Router, 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band, Works with Amazon Alexa
- MU-MIMO Gigabit Router, Three simultaneous data streams help your devices achieve optimal performance by making...
- Boosted Wi-Fi Coverage, Beamforming technology delivers a highly efficient wireless connection, Long Range Wi-Fi
Currently the most voted VP router for domestic space, the AC1900 offers durability as one of its strong points. With its dual-band feature and 1GHz dual-core processor, it provides ample network to facilitate a family’s daily needs.
- Connects up to 15 to 18 devices
- Maximum range of 3000 sq. ft.
- Speed of 600Mbps at 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps at 5GHz
- Easy setup and management with the help of tether app
- Ethernet cable supported
- 1GHz Dual-Core processor
- Affordable price
- Uses Beamforming technology
- There is only one USB 3.0 port available
- Not the fastest when compared to other routers, thus can’t be of use in busier and demanding spaces
4. Linksys WRT AC3200
- Fast wireless router provides Wi-Fi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
- Open source firmware offers advanced customization; Certified operating systems: MacOS (10.X or higher), Windows 7,...
- Tri stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
Boasting an adjustable design that allows in-depth customization, this model promises high performance with its innovative design.
- WiFi smart app that allows you to control devices via the network
- Tri-Steam 160 technology
- 5GHz bandwidth
- 1.8GHz Dual-Core processor
- Complications regarding extra features
5. NETGEAR R6700(AC1750)
- Maximum Range : 1500 Sq Ft
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1...
More suited for a domestic user than a gamer, it comes with smart parental controls and secure remote access. The top-notch security matched with DD-WRT’s firewall akes it ideal for households with children.
- 1750 Mbps speed
- WiFi coverage up to 1500 sq. ft. and 25 devices
- Multi-layered security of Netgear
- 4 ethernet ports, up to 1Gbps
- 3.0 USB port
- Software could be upgraded
6. Buffalo AirStation N300(WZR-300HP)
- 802.11n Router
- Gigabit Ethernet
- HighPower Technology
Pre-installed with DD-WRT firmware, this router speeds up to 300Mbps and has customizable advanced features. The wireless bridge configuration allows you to use gigabit WiFi speeds and helps multiple devices to connect to the networks at the same time.
- Wireless security (AirStation One-Touch Secure System)
- Backward compatibility with 802.11g/b/a devices
- Wireless bridge configuration
- VPN endpoints, VLAN
- Doesn’t support the IEEE 802.ac standard
- Unfavourable fluctuations in bandwidth settings while in use
- No external USB ports
- No external antenna
This list is not in an order of recommendation, as you can see that each model is suited for different user environments. You can choose your router based on where it is going to be installed, or what purpose it is supposed to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Wondering what are the top things that you should note when buying DD-WRT? Here is a look at a few questions you may have as a beginner.
WRT is short for Wireless Receiver/Transmitter, and DD is the code on the license plate of vehicles in Dresden, where the team that launched the firmware is from.
You decide the level of freedom and flexibility you need with your router. We talked about how you can use VPN to connect all your devices to the router. It works the other way too. Considering its feature of enhancing the signal of the router and boosting its network speed, it is most suited for workplaces. There is also an access restriction feature, which you can use in a place with minors. The firmware security is suitable for personal use – you can use it anywhere and everywhere.
DD-WRT is, in fact, a free firmware. All you have to do in order to get it is to visit https://dd-wrt.com to download the version that is compatible with your router. If you are willing to take the risk and if you succeed in installing it instead of buying a more expensive router with in-built DD-WRT, you can save money.
Any mistake made while installing DD-WRT will risk your router and might “brick” it. If that happens, your router might become completely unusable.
More FAQs regarding the installation and settings of DD-WRT can be inferred from this page.
DD-WRT: Pros and Cons
- Maximizes range, making it accessible in a larger area
- Enhances signal boost
- Levels up security measures and sets up a stronger firewall against threats and malware
- Network features can be exploited to the maximum, without compromisjng on the stability
- Open source firmware
- The risk of “bricking” your device that is not pre-installed with DD-WRT
- Might have some issues such as recurring bugs
- Some features might not be available on all routers
- It is more suited for an advanced user who knows how to use and maintain the firmware properly.
Should I Got For It?
In conclusion, DD-WRT is perfect for enhancing your internet experience, and it helps protect your network from breaches and misuse. All of these, while maintaining a better safeguard to your privacy, enabling a hassle-free internet experience.
- Best VPN Router
- Best Wi-Fi Routers Under $100
- Best Wireless Routers for Large House
- Best DD-WRT Router:Top 10